Friday, May 4, 2012

Can I share some RAM memory with my onboard video card?

Hi! I have a HP Pavilion with internal video card of 64Mb and I also have 1Gb RAM, which I don't use all of it... As I now decided to get some games, I can't make them work because the minimum is 128Mb video card... Can I "transfer" some Mb? How do I do it?|||If your BIOS allows it, you can allocate more shared memory to your video card. Since not all motherboards are the same, some may allow you to share 128MB and some may only allow up to 64MB or less. Check your motherboard manual to see where this setting is located in your BIOS as it varies depending on the manufacturer of your board. Usually it's under something like "Advanced Chipset Settings" etc.



That said, if you intend to play games, it is better to install a dedicated graphics card. Even a cheap video card will help in that you won't be taking away from your system memory at worst, and at best you'll be adding a decent graphics processor so that it won't run slow. Most onboard video, even with 128MB of video RAM shared, will not run games well and there are some 3D features they simply can't handle. Chances are if it's asking for 128MB video RAM, then you will want more than 896 MB of system RAM anyways.



Additional note: I am not the thumbs downer, BTW. The above suggestion to get a new video card if you can is a good one.|||Sorry, no can do. To run those games, you'll need to upgrade your video card to one with more RAM of its own. And rather than stopping at 128 MB, you should go ahead and get a video card with 256 MB (or even 512, if you can afford it and there's one compatible with your computer) to make it less likely you'll find yourself in the same situation in the future.



Thumbs-downer: if you disagree, then let's hear YOUR input!



EDIT - I like anonfuture's answer better than mine because he's giving you more options. That said, though, I still think your best option is to upgrade to a video card with its own onboard RAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment